Gospel Truth Review: Beautiful and Distinctive

WARNING: SPOILERS

So recently, I've read a book called The Gospel Truth by Caroline Pignat (not to be confused with the song from Disney's Hercules).
The Gospel Truth by Caroline Pignat
     I enjoyed this book very much. I could tell it was well-researched, from the way the Duncans treated their slaves to something as simple as the way the slaves talked. The way the book was written was very distinctive and, in my opinion, pretty rad. It was written in free verse poetry and from the perspective of 6 different characters. My personal favourite character perspective to read from was Phoebe's (I didn't really like most of the other characters, to be honest).
I liked how Phoebe was actually written like a slave girl who never formally learned English; Pignat embellished Phoebe's speech with many grammar mistakes, which I think made Phoebe much more believable. I also liked how the book was written in free verse; it always kept my attention (except for certain chapters, which I'll get into in the next paragraph) and it was straight to the point without being too blunt.
     I didn't like reading the chapters from Shad's perspective. He was kind of an idiot, and his chapters were kind of dull and confusing. I generally didn't like his character. However, he did kind of make up for this at the climax, when he killed Brutus and Master. The other characters' chapters were also a little bit dull (except for Phoebe's, of course) but they were more forgettably dull than Shad's chapters, which were more of an infuriating kind of dull.
Aside from this, The Gospel Truth was a very poignant and compelling story about the strength of the human spirit that I would definitely recommend.
Overall, I give this book a 4.5 out of 5! YAY FOR GOOD BOOKS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

~Fixing Up Korra's Face~

Molar Enthalpies

SCH4U - Energy Changes and Rates of Reactions Sample Test Qs